Black Bean “Chili”
- Pick over and Rinse: 1 pound dried black beans
- Bring to a boil in: 2 qts water
- Remove from heat and let sit 1 hour
- Meanwhile chop 6 green peppers, 2 onions and 6 garlic cloves. Saute in 2/3 cup olive oil for 20 minutes.
- Stir in 1 T. + 1 t. kosher salt, ¼ t. each of dried oregano, black pepper and ground cumin
- Return the beans to the heat and bring to a boil rapidly. Reduce heat and cook for 45 minutes or until mashable. Mash 1 cup cooked black beans into the pepper mixture and add all to the bean pot
- Cover and cook 1 hour.
- Serve with sour cream and cilantro, chips, tortillas or cornbread